Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Flat Bread


Today was a flat bread making day. This occurs about once a week. I've been making flat bread now for nearly 20 years and I feel now I have the best receipe and method of cooking. Dough is made in a bread maker, not that you need to do this.
The ingredients are 425 ml of liquid which includes 1 tablespoon of yoghurt. To this I add 4 cups of sifted plain flour, 1 tablespoon of golden syrup and 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of salt and finally 2 teaspoons of instant yeast.
After the dough cycle has finished in the machine I get the dough out onto a floured surface and beat the dough the way you been a pizza dough. When I feel the dough is feeling pliable enough I cut it into 16 pieces. I then make the pieces into balls and stretch and flatten them into rounds before finally rolling them with rolling pin. You can roll them out really thin to use as wraps or as I mostly do roll them out to be about 5mm thick and big enough to fit into a toaster later. While the rounds are resting I fire up the barbeque and run it on high for 10ish minutes. Then I put a little oil on the hotplate and cook 4 at a time. When the first bubbles appear I flip them over and hopefully as the other side cooks the whole bread will puff up into a ball, but sometimes I have to keep alternating sides. It also helps to push on the bread to make the bubbles spread out.
They are great fresh. I keep them in a plastic bag in the fridge and refresh them in the toaster when I want to use them. Atalanta uses them to make ham, cheese and tomato things out of them. I usually use them with dips.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Since I last posted. Some things

  Some work in various mediums. Mostly watercolour, but also pencil and tempera.