Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Fears and Anguish

A new Federal Government has now been decided with the majority of the independents siding with the Labor Party. I'm glad it's over. I'm glad it's not the Liberal National Party in Government largely because of their opposition to the National Broadband Network and serious dealing with climate change. I think that the NBN is a bit risky but the indications are that it gives our economy more flexibility to respond to the future and industries that are only dreams now. Also I have an unease about wireless broadband with its spewing of radio waves through the environment. There may be no effects or there may be no visible effects, but I'm sure that the broad range of ecologies haven't been tested for its effects. What has happened to bird populations? And I do remember years ago hearing how radio jamming can happen kilometres from where the radio waves were generated, innocently, in unpredictable ways that show how effects cannot be completely predicted.
Then to climate change or not so much climate change as our use of the earth resources. Who are we kidding? This should be about future generations and their opportunity to live decent lives. At the moment we are over using resources and destroying the ecosystem that we live in and are afraid of taking some pain for the future of our nation. How selfish! I don't think the Labor really has the courage to risk making the radical decisions that we need made, but at least they are not running away as quickly as the Liberal National coalition.
Another thing that is always in the back of my mind with the Coalition is their work place relations policy. I know that Tony Abbott says that Work Choices is dead, but it doesn't take that much to rejig the policy and rename it, then claim it's something different. Especially when ideologically many in the Coalition support the theory of it and have only dropped it to be electable. Of course I also remember the Kennett Liberal Government in Victoria. I know 2 people who lost $100 a week when he deformed the award system.
Enough emotional intensity. I'll go now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since I last posted. Some things

  Some work in various mediums. Mostly watercolour, but also pencil and tempera.