Thursday, September 30, 2010

About Meditation

I drove to Melbourne & back today and enjoyed listening to 3 of my new CDs. Takk by Sigur Ros, Tooth of the Crime by T-Bone Burnett and Wenn Der Sudwind Weht by Rodelius. While driving I contemplated Christian meditations as I understand it. The idea is to bring you into the present moment so that in God's mysterious way you can be ministered to. By taking it into the rest of life I find that when I set out too I can then live life now, notice the information that the senses are bringing me and let them enrich my life. The shapes of the clouds, the taste & texture of my food. To actually notice them and appreciate the experience. When I am not in the present moment I am usually reliving some past regret or fantasising about some ideal future, but this is not really life. Except that in reality we need the past present and future and I think that I deal with past and future too often because through memory and fantasy I can control what happens in them. I shouldn't forget the past or lose hope for the future, but I should live now.
Practising meditation teaches me the tools and discipline to live now and enjoy God's presence now. In Melbourne I went to Kensington and visited Arion. I cleaned out the gutters and took some length of doors so that they would shut. I came back with lots of stuff for the Op-Shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since I last posted. Some things

  Some work in various mediums. Mostly watercolour, but also pencil and tempera.