Monday, August 16, 2010

New Desert Boots

Years ago I wanted some red desert boots that I seen in the Good Weekend and Athena, while in Melbourne, one day spent quite some time looking for them. Eventually she found them in a warehouse outlet in Brunswick. I enjoyed having them for a long time, but the soles have gone so that when it rains they leak chronically and the shoe repairer says they're beyond help. Yet I can't quite throw them out.
The other Thursday I was in Melbourne getting a tooth fixed and decided to followup a net search I'd done for desert boots after that. I headed for Chapel Street and wandered down in the rain until I found the shop. Then I encountered a problem in that they had the brand of shoes that I was looking for, but of the 2 styles of boot they had the one I wasn't really looking for. They had another boot that looked good so now it was down to a comparison and in the end I bought some black Hush Puppies desert boots.


Being black & suede always bring to mind, for me, the image of the monk with pointy black suede shoes wiping he blood of them in The Name of the Rose, but that doesn't stop me wearing black suede, just every now and then the image pops into my head
The other thing with these Desert Boots is the Hush Puppies brand because Athena has just read the book Tipping Point and in the book it describes how Hush Puppies went form almost being broke to becoming cool and successful. There is some dissonance in this form me though because that has happened in America, but not Australia. They are not a cool brand here as far as I can tell. Still I'm happy with the boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since I last posted. Some things

  Some work in various mediums. Mostly watercolour, but also pencil and tempera.